Here at Ventz we love all things motorbike related. Regardless of the time of year or the type of bike we love nothing more than setting off on a nice long bike journey wearing the Best summer motorbike jacket, taking in some of the incredible sights throughout the world.
Motorbikes have been around for years and with each new release of bike the technology moves forwards even further. It can be easy to get caught up on all of the future prospects in terms of biking but here are some facts from the past (some in the quite recent past) that you may be interested in.
- Hildebrand and Wolfmuller were the first people to use the term “motorcycle” back around 1894.
- Back in October 2014 Matthew McKelvey rode his bike in South Africa for a total distance of 2,023.5 miles in just twenty-four hours. The journey saw him secure a place in the Guiness Book of World Records. Another world record was created by Emilio Scotto who comes from Argentina. He achieved the longest ever journey made on a motorbike. He covered a distance of 457,000 miles and saw 214 different countries/territories.
- Many of the larger motorbike companies have either started their manufacturing life out in different sector or have since diversified. For example, Yamaha started their manufacturing off in the music sector, being one top creators of pianos. They still manufacture musical instruments today along with their incredible motorbikes and also car engines, boats, wheelchairs and even robots for industrial use. Suzuki were originally involved int eh silk industry back in the early part of the 20th Since then they have gone on to motorbike manufacturing as well as cars and marine engines.
- How many motorbikes can you fit into a standard car parking space? No, this isn’t a line from a joke! It has been worked out that you can fit around eight motorbikes into one car parking space. If everyone in the office rode a bike there would be no more fight over the office parking space.
- Motorbikes are loved by many celebrities including Pink, Tom Cruise, Justin Timberlake and Ewan McGregor who filmed his journeys on his motorbike in the program Long Way Round. Keanu Reeves enjoyed riding the motorbikes from the film The Matrix so much that he eventually went onto form his own company – Arch Motorcycle.
- Back to record breaking bikes. The world's smallest motorbike was created by Tom Wiberg and was named Smalltoe. It has a front wheel diameter of just 16mm. He successfully managed to ride the bike for 10 metres back in 2003. In contrast the world’s longest bike (that made it into the Guiness Book of World Records) was a staggering 26.29 metres in length. It was created in India by Bharat Sinh Parmar back in 2014.
The world of the motorbike is staggering with its history a long and evolutionary one, during which incredible biking communities have been established that still grow a thrive even today.